Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Drug Poisoning in Dogs

The primary cause of dog poisoning commonly stems from the inadvertent overconsumption of medications. Flavored to enhance palatability and facilitate ingestion, prescription pet medications pose a significant risk when stored within easy reach of dogs, leading to swift and effortless ingestion.

In addition to veterinary pills, another prevalent contributor to drug poisoning in dogs is the unsupervised administration of over-the-counter drugs by pet owners without consulting a veterinarian beforehand. Many medications, both prescription and over-the-counter, designed for human use are toxic to dogs. It is crucial to recognize that the same dosage suitable for humans cannot be applied to animals, as miscalculations often result in overdosing and subsequent drug poisoning.

Even a seemingly minor amount, such as a single dose of an acetaminophen (Tylenol®) pain reliever, can inflict severe organ damage in a medium-sized dog. Due to the absence of natural enzymes essential for detoxification and elimination of human-oriented drugs in animals, substances like ibuprofen and acetaminophen emerge as significant culprits in cases of dog poisoning.


If there is a suspicion that your dog has accessed medications, you will likely discover evidence, whether it’s an emptied container or a torn-apart box, though checking your dog’s preferred hiding spots may be necessary.

Should your pet start vomiting before completely digesting a pill or capsule, you may observe intact pills or the undigested shell of a capsule. Differentiating liquid drugs from the rest of the vomited content can be challenging if the drug was in liquid form. Providing your veterinarian with information about the type of drug ingested by your pet is crucial. Even if you are uncertain about the quantity consumed, this information serves as a starting point for your pet’s treatment.

When visiting the veterinarian, bring any available information, such as the drug container, whether it’s a pill or liquid, and any recovered pills. It’s essential to understand that your veterinarian is not there to pass judgment but to ascertain what your dog has been exposed to in order to provide appropriate treatment.

Symptoms of dog poisoning encompass:

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive salivation
  • Lack of coordination
  • Bloody urine


The causes of dog poisoning include:

  • Excessive ingestion of veterinary pills
  • Consumption of human medications, which may comprise:
    • Antihistamines
    • Sleeping tablets
    • Diet pills
    • Heart medications
    • Blood pressure medications
    • Ibuprofen
    • Acetaminophen


To diagnose the situation, you’ll need to provide a detailed history of your dog’s health and recent activities. Your veterinarian will conduct a thorough physical examination of your dog, considering their health background and the emergence of symptoms.

Additionally, your veterinarian is likely to suggest blood tests. Some drugs impact the body rapidly, while others take longer to manifest effects. The initial blood sample will serve as a baseline for monitoring progression or improvement.

The diagnosis and subsequent treatment will rely entirely on the symptoms and information you provide to your veterinarian, alongside your dog’s current behavior and the findings from any tests conducted by the veterinarian.


Above all, refrain from inducing vomiting in your dog, as it may exacerbate the situation. Contact your veterinarian promptly for guidance and the next course of action.


Prioritize consulting your veterinarian regarding suitable medications and their correct dosage for your dog. This determination will consider factors such as your dog’s breed, size, and age. Ensure that all medications, both for pets and humans, are securely stored in an inaccessible location to your pet, preferably within a locked cabinet.

It’s important to note that pill bottles are designed to be child-proof, not dog-proof.

Scroll to Top